Shocking article about oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no idea how old that might be, this is the first time I've seen this one. But, when I saw that stupid bearing machine I lost all interest.

It's old, and they got so much negative press over that article that they were forced to do a follow-up.

That test is like me evaluating CPU performance by smashing each of them with a sledge hammer and whichever smashes the least is the "best"........

If you see a technical article from an Australian magazine, that's got lots of big pictures, and about the same amount of text, turn the page...it will be light on, ill considered garbage.

I long for the days when John Bennet was posting articles on mixture distribution, and 30MPG propane operation of SBCs...until the readers wrote in complaining that the tech articles were "boring", and more space should be devoted to pictures and stuff.

We got what we (collectively) asked for.

I don't know what you all are talking about. That's a great article...

...about which motor oil would do the least poorly as a gear lube.

oi crinkles watch yourself....i am a member of that forum hehe, and yes they did admit to the faults in their test....the worste part about it all was how Royal Purple and Motul jumped on the band wagon saying the test was really relevant etc etc........

i was just pulling the proverbial leg :D

and of course that is what motul and RP would say! Lucky man, I used durablen my last OC before this one, my engine must be REAL protected!

I think like someone said it is more a test for gear wear - heavy steel on steel contact

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i was just pulling the proverbial leg :D

and of course that is what motul and RP would say! Lucky man, I used durablen my last OC before this one, my engine must be REAL protected!

I think like someone said it is more a test for gear wear - heavy steel on steel contact

NO worries crinkles hehe. Durablend is not that bad. Is it a PAO-GP1 mix or a GP3-GP1 mix. I wonder how our Durablend and Synpower compares to the U.S stuff.

A test like this is too good to be true.....a good test, thats getting on is the "planet soarer oil test". One of my favourites, unbiased, unlike the Amsoil sponsored ones (sorry Pablo hehe). This one even had UOA. There is even an air filter test somewhere on there.

Last edited:
There`s a test sort`ve like this on Youtube where you can watch these two guys test a bunch of different oils. It`s kind`ve fun to watch.

Not terribly relevant, either. This "test" sets off the [censored] alarm on the one hand, and since none of the oils tested are recommended for most cars in this country, who cares anyway? Besides, isn't there a period of additive activation that must take place for an oil to perform at peak performance?

I wonder how much it cost these oils to buy into this testing?

I see alot of people have trouble with the search engine. The way I search on this forum is to blank out the "never than" and put in "older than 1 day" and it always pull up a ton of info.

Let me add one entry to the article:

PandaBear's pork lard non-API rated, would have been SA and a viscosity of 50W50 $200

We found this oil to be a surprise. While this oil doesn't seems to flow very well at room temperature, once melted and start flowing around our test fixture, it shows amazing wear protect, as well as any grease could be. There are virtually no wear scare. Although we believe the price of $200 is too high, we believe that you could find it on sale for $100 on a regular basis. At $100, we believe it is a decent value for the protection.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Let me add one entry to the article:

PandaBear's pork lard non-API rated, would have been SA and a viscosity of 50W50 $200

We found this oil to be a surprise. While this oil doesn't seems to flow very well at room temperature, once melted and start flowing around our test fixture, it shows amazing wear protect, as well as any grease could be. There are virtually no wear scare. Although we believe the price of $200 is too high, we believe that you could find it on sale for $100 on a regular basis. At $100, we believe it is a decent value for the protection.

That was FANTASTIC
grin2.gif

Ok Ok Panda bear, they did come out and retract the test, and followed it up with some good information. I find a couple oil companies eventually become a culprite trying to validate some aspects.

http://www.streetcommodores.com/images/tech/PDF/132oiltech.pdf

That is their follow up. SO where ever i see a reference to the test, and once they get a bagging, i will post this link above as to be fair, they did their research and admitted their fault. Remember, these guys are the makers of Australias No.1 car magazine 'Street Commodores', and test drive, mod cars, etc some models even ending up in the U.S. This is significant for a 20 million population country hehe.......
wink.gif
IT could have killed off a huge market for these companies here in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back